Mt. Marcy & Avalanche Pass -  Hiking is Dramatic

The 1st Day, Driving

At 6 am I started at my house, Westchester, NY and drove to the north through RT 87. The sky was blue while fogs like clouds were floating around Catskill area.  At 9 a.m. I drove through the toll at Albany.  At 11 a.m. I left the highway at Exit 30 to RT 73 for Lake Placid.  It began raining.  The forecast said it would be getting better. At noon the car arrived at the parking place of Adirondack Loj.  I paid $13.5 for two-day parking.

Hiking to Marcy Dam

After having a lunch of rice balls (onigiri) I made in the morning, I shouldered the heavy backpack and stated hiking.  Entered into the trail in the forest.  Soon it started raining.  The rain was getting heavier as I was walking.  Took out the poncho to cover the whole body and backpack.   A backpacker came down together with a dog.  He said he did not climb a mountain, just walked and camped two nights.  It was miserable due to the wet condition.  A group of female hikers walked down, too.  They said they were satisfied with the beautiful view of Avalanche Lake.  Their talk interested me in visiting the lake although my schedule does not include it.

At 2 p.m. arrived at Marcy Dam where water stream over a dam was making a noise.
It is still raining heavily.  It must be hard to set up a tent in this rain.  Walked to a camp site area through a trail to find out a lean-to.  There are five lean-tos in Marcy Dam according to the hiking map. In the first lean-to are a lot of sacks but no people.  Walked more in the forest.  Found the second lean-to (Left Photo) where some goods of one person are left.  Decided to stay here.  The lean-to is open to the outside but It is nice to stay away from rain.  Can see the lake of Marcy Dam from inside (Photo).

The owner of the goods came back, Jonathan from Quebec.  It has stopped raining.。

Cooking and Bears

At around 5 p.m. began cooking.  First cooked two cups of rice.  Using the same container, canned chicken soup was heated with sliced onion. Last, water from the stream was boiled to heat retort pouch of curry.  Then I enjoyed a supper of curry and rice with chicken soup. 

Jonathan went out somewhere without doing cooking.   He came back and told a surprising story.  Last night campers staying the next lean-to saw a bear walking.  His talk in a twinkle reminded me an important rule in camping - protecting food from bears in a safety location.

(Bears that have experience to eat human’s delicious foods, cakes in particular, remember their tastes, attack tents or even destroy cars when the bears find the smell of the foods.  Such man-attacking bears will be shot finally.  Accordingly, leaving human foods results in making attacking bears.  Then, it is the most important duty to manage our foods including wastes in camping.)

Jonathan was so careful that he cooked at a far place from our lean-to and stored his foods in a canister placed in the park office.   Immediately I decided to do the same before it got dark.

I walked through the trail for ten minutes to the park managing office over the dam.  A lady who had sat inside the office and watched toward me came out and began a sermon to me.  I should have rent a canister at the parking lot today.  I can use the big canister of the office tonight but should go to the parking lot to rent one.  I said I had to hike early in the morning tomorrow and I would carry all the foods.  Finally she allowed me to use the big canister until tomorrow afternoon but not in the evening. 

I was so lucky that bears would not attack me thanks to Jonathan’s advice.


There was an arrow to the toilet at the outside wall of the lean-to.  Walking along the trail in to the forest, two more arrow panels were nailed on the trees.  After 5 minute walking, a wooden box toilet was found at the bottom of the forest.  The box with a hole looked clean.  Apparently no privacy was there but no problem practically. 

I did not see any other sign of a toilet in Marcy Dam.  Probably I must have missed the notice on hiking rules including toilets and bears at the parking lot of Adirondack Loj.

Birds singing doh-mi-mi

At the lean-to, the evening dusk was gathering.  A sound like a whistle.  Doh-mi-mi-, doh-mi-mi.  For a while, it sounded so-mi-doh.  It must be a song of a bird but how strange it was to sing such a monotonous sound.  It was audible but invisible.  I named it doh-mi-mi bird.

I slept at 8 p. m.

Abnormal episode

I thought it was around 9 p. m. I woke as I felt a little bit cool.  I tried to get up to wear more and to go to the bathroom.  I felt strange.  I could not stand because of the pain in my whole legs.  It was a feeling I have never experienced before.  I slowly moved my body to go down from the lean-to.  I squatted down on the earth due to the pain.  Slowly and slowly I tried to walk.  Coming back from the bathroom, I wore two more shirts and lay down on the air mat.  The pain went away but short breath occurred instead.  I could not understand why it occurred.  I tried to cool down my mind.  After a minute it cooled down and I slept.

This was the first episode I have never had although I have heard about people who are bound hand and foot. I still wonder if it was a dream.  (I talked about it to my wife at home.  She was reminded a similar happening experienced by her aunt and said it could be a curse caused by an unhappy event in the lean-to in the past.) 

The 2nd day

At around 4 a. m. a doh-mi-mi bird began singing.  It sang doh-mi-mi in the beginning and changed the song to mi-mi-doh and so-mi-doh-doh-doh.  The morning star was above the lake.  Nice weather.  I recalled the episode last night but I never feel any problem.  What was it at all?  I performed light gymnastics.  The  conditions were perfect.  At 5 a. m. I went to the ground near the park managing office to cook the breakfast, bread, chicken soup and noodle.

Coming back to the lean-to and experienced the toilet in the forest for the first time.  It was so good.

Up to Mt. Marcy

At 7 a. m. I signed my name at the entrance of the mountain trail.  I was the first hiker this morning unexpectedly. Soon a group of about ten hikers came up just after me.  They said they were from Pennsylvania.  They looked the Amish. 

The trail was in a dense forest and full of rocks with small streams under them.  I walked lightly and comfortably. 

山道は、うっそうとした森の中。岩がごろごろして、ときどき水の流れもある。足どりは快調。 トレイルにはゴミ一つ落ちていない。 9時頃川に出て急に明るくなる。Indian Fallsという滝があるところ。滝が落ちる上あたりから向こうにAlgonquin Peakが見える(写真)。



左の写真は、左から、Johnjo, ChirstianそしてLean-toのルームメートのJonathan。遠方に湖が点在している。


Descending、Hard-conditioned trails

最初の計画では、登山道を戻る予定であった。セラーに別の道を聞いて、予定を変更しそこから降りることにした。来た道が5マイルに対して、別の道は9マイルと長いけれど、美しいAvalanche Lakeを通るのだ。12時半頃、Jonathan、セラー嬢がその道を降り始め、私がその後を追う。広い岩盤を歩くのは爽快だ。

Four Cornersから林道へ。道は、岩がごろごろしているところは上がったり降りたり膝に堪える。ぬかるみも多く足を取られる。先生に引率された子供たちが疲れた顔をして休んでいるのに出会う。これからあの登りはきついだろうな、と同情する。そういう私の下山道も辛い。展望の利かない林道の悪路を前へ前へ。人に会うことはほとんど無い。頂上で会ったハイカーは元来たルートを戻ったようだ。トレイルにはところどころに黄色のマークがありハイキングコースであることを確かめられる。でも別のルートに入り込んでいないか不安になる。こういうときはコンパスが役に立つ。ポイントポイントに標識もあるが、このルートに限って2カ所標識が無かった。疲れてきた。岩の上を飛び飛び歩くので膝が痛い。

幅の広い川に出ると男性3人が水を汲んでいた。Uphillというところ。彼らはロッククライマーで、Uphillから南に入った崖でロッククライミングを終えたところであるという。そのうちの一人が、Avalanche Passは面白いよ。数メートルもある岩がごろごろしていて、そこを這い登ったり這い降りたりするんだ、という。それを聞いて恐怖を感じた。この疲れた体でそんなところを越えられるだろうか?しかし他にルートは無い。

Uphillからはぬかるみがひどい。登山杖で確認しながら歩くのだが、ぬかるみの中の石と思ったのが泥で、ずぶずぶと靴が沈み込むことがある。登山靴はよくできていて水や泥が入ってこないのはありがたい。急流沿いの道になる。滝がいくつもあり轟音を立てている。その川に吊り橋がかかっているところに出た。ようやく下山道は終わり谷底に着いた。Lake Colden近くに来たのだ。午後5時。目的のMarcy Damまであと4マイル以上ある。この難路では1時間に1マイルぐらいしか進めないな。でも、順調に行けば明るいうちに着けるはずだ、と計算する。熊のいる山で野宿だけは避けたい。

Lake Colden東岸沿いの道は、木の根や石、それに一枚岩の崖を超えるような悪路である。けがをしたら困る。時間がかかっても慎重に。この道で会ったのは男性ハイカー一人だけであった。この悪路を走破しても先に、Avalanche Passというとんでもないところが待ち構えているのだ、という不安がつきまとう。

Avalanche Pass

Lake Colden東岸沿いの道は終わり、ついにAvalanche Passの入り口標識にたどり着いた。午後6時。ひとっこひとりいない。歩いていく。目の前が開けた。Avalanche Lakeとそれを挟んでそそり立つ両岸の絶壁である。息を飲むほどすばらしい光景だ。

この湖の西側(左)の絶壁の下にトレイルが続いている。教えられたとおり大きな岩がごろごろ。それに這い上がり、這い降りる。元気なときなら面白いだろうが疲れた体には辛い。でも隣には美しい湖と岩の絶壁。それが救いだ。ハイカー同士で交わす挨拶、Enjoy yourself. 、を口にしてこの道を楽しむことにした。後ろから15人ぐらいの若者が歌を歌いながらやってきた。写真を撮ると喜んでいた。この写真にあるような岩を越える道なのだ。


午後8時、ようやくAvalanche Passが終わった。さあ、あと1マイルほどだ。足どりも軽くなる。Lean-toに行けば水も飲めるぞ。8時40分、人の気配。なんとピストルを持った男性だ。すぐ近くには頑丈な銃を持った人もいる。聞けば、熊を待っているのだと。熊に間違えられなくてよかったな。それからすぐ、管理事務所に寄ると、すぐセラー嬢が来て、「疲れただろう。特別にCanisterを貸してあげる」との暖かいお言葉。それを持ってLean-toへ。新しい同居人として父娘が居て炊事をしていた。まずは水を飲む。


The 3rd day, Returning


借りたcanisterを保管場所に置いて、朝食はまたチョコレートバー。飲み水はもうないので調理ができない。Water purifierを持ってくる必要があるのだな。午前6時過ぎ、思い出深いMarcy Damに別れを告げ、2マイルの山道を駐車場に向かって歩く。7時を過ぎる頃からハイカーがたくさん登ってきた。老若男女さまざまだ。大部分は、小さいリュックサックの軽装である。昨夜はLake Placid付近で宿泊し、今朝駐車場からハイキングを開始してMt. Marcy登頂後今日中に駐車場に戻るようだ。8時前、駐車場に着く。愛車のスバルに置いてある「お〜いお茶」がおいしい。駐車場入り口で、「昨夜戻れなかったんだ」と言うと「いいよ」とのことで追加料金なし。RT73に出たところで久美子に電話する。ここから山を振り返って写真を撮った。中央がMt. Marcy。その右に深く切れ込んでいるのがAvalanche の谷である。ドラマに満ちたハイキングのことを思い起こした。


ドライブして、午後3時頃に帰宅。さっそくキャンプ用具の後始末をする。今回は、Lean-toでの宿泊、長い悪路のハイキングでいろいろな用具のありがたさを感じた。登山靴などを歯ブラシを使ってきれいにし、キャンプ用品を日光に当てた。今度はいつ山に行けるだろうか? (2009年7月12日記)


Top   Tohei’s Travel Blog     Home